Livernano is a truly ancient place. It was first inhabited by Etruscans, whose culture reached its high-point in Tuscany over 2500 years ago, around 500BC. The hamlet was later occupied by the Romans, who gave it its name. Long after the cessation of Roman rule, Livernano served as a fortified border post during the interminable wars of the two great mediaeval city states in Tuscany, Siena and Florence.
Our small, beautifully preserved Romanesque church dates back to the 11th century. In the 17th century, when the territorial wars between Siena and Florence had finally come to an end, Livernano turned into a quiet farming village. At the end of WWII, when the ancient system of share-cropping (mezzadria) was abandoned, Tuscany suffered grinding poverty. The beautiful countryside, tended by humans for millennia, became almost entirely depopulated. The last farmers left Livernano in 1953. The hamlet regained new life in 1990, when the complete restoration of the entire estate was begun. Today, Livernano is once again a working farm, producing fine wines, excellent olive oil and honey, vegetables and fruits. On 38 acres new vineyards were planted with 9 different grape varieties.
In the ancient olive groves, new trees were planted and we now tend close to 1000 trees, all of native Italian varieties. The remaining 420 acres consist of beautiful mature woodland that surrounds the hamlet on all sides. Five houses have been completely redesigned and furnished with local antiques to accommodate guests. Although situated in splendid isolation amidst forests, vines and olive groves, Livernano is close to many local towns, historic sites, fine restaurants, and famous wineries. The shopping and cultural centres of Florence and Siena are only a short drive away.